Pages

Saturday, December 12, 2009

A lot to say and nothing to say

So there is so much running through my mind right now and at the same time I don't know how to put them to paper (or in this case, keyboard). The last couple weeks have been pretty standard. We had a three night stay at a Catholic Church. It was great in the fact that we all got to stay together, but at the same time I was relieved to not be sleeping on a self-deflating (during the night) air mattress and walking to the rectory to shower in the morning.

We are now in Long Beach and off to another place tomorrow. It's been rainy the last few days and I have found amusement hearing about the "storm" from the locals. I would call it more of a drizzle, but I guess it is all in perspective.

A couple of thoughts that have been running through my mind that I am trying to understand.

First, how is it possible to want alone time and be lonely at the same time? I go through these times when all I want to do is be alone, and at the same time I am lonely. Perhaps I am lonely for the company of close friends and the security in being surrounded by people where I don't have to be anything other than who I am.

Secondly, how am I affected by the people that I meet? Going through all the churches and venues I have met so many people and the number will continue to increase as tour continues. The hundreds of people I have held conversations with and the numerous host families I have stayed with, how have they affected me? I pray that some of the quirks that I see don't become mine, but at the time I hope that some of the qualities of hospitality and warmth are characteristics that I exude.

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. I always read but don't always comment... I just re-read this and I can definitely relate. Wanting to be alone, and yet being lonely. Funny how that works. We really do need to talk soon. Or, better yet, see each other :)

    ReplyDelete